Mentor Mixer 2015
Mentoring is a critical component of the Puente Program. Mentors aid in student retention, are positive role models, and offer career and educational advice.
Over the years, thousands of professionals: judges, doctors, teachers, entrepreneurs, and civic leaders have taken time from their busy schedules to serve as volunteer mentors to Puente students. In addition, hundreds of local businesses and community-based organizations have supported Puente by donating scholarship funds, hosting field trips to work sites or providing in-kind resources.
- Commit to mentor 1-2 students for one academic year (two semesters)
- Meet with student(s) for at least 18 hours over the academic year (9 hours per semester)
- Communicate with student(s) at least once per month to help maintain contact
- Help student with mentor-related classroom assignments
- Acquaint student(s) with own educational career background and professional expertise
- Serve as a role model and encourage the achievement of higher education
- Support fellow mentors by sharing mentoring experience
- Participate in mentor-related activities
To become a mentor, contact one of the program's co-coordinators:
Santa Rosa Campus: Guillermo Garcia, email@example.com, 707-521-7864
Petaluma Campus: Roberto Alvarado, firstname.lastname@example.org, 707-778-3916